Thursday, April 17, 2014

Venice Aflame: Sunset Last Night


I promise you, Dear Reader, that I have not decided to turn this into the Venezia Sunset Blog--though it has occurred to me that someone (not me) could easily take a sunset photo every evening from a single location here and at the end of a year perhaps end up with a fairly interesting series--but I just wanted to post a series of images taken last night. The above panorama was taken at 8 pm, the one just below at 8:07, the bottom image at 8:10; the light seems to change almost second by second as the sun vanishes.

The days have been sunny and quite breezy (when not downright windy) for the last few days, and the latter has kept the smog from settling over the mainland and given the whole city a high-def look. The breezes have not, however, blown all the clouds away, and in the evening especially they tend to compose themselves to great operatic effect--like some last rousing Verdi chorus to ring down the curtain on the day.

The city, or the Dolomiti behind it, aflame


7 comments:

  1. If someone could arrange a visa for me, I'd be willing to do the big sacrifice and publish a photo a day of the sunset from the end of Via Garibaldi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're going to do that, Yvonne, then it sounds to me like you deserve not only a visa but a grant!

      Also I think you should be here to keep an eye on the construction of the new Australian pavilion. I'm starting to get a bit worried that though the building might in itself be quite nice it will actually be a rather invasive & aggressive presence in its environment (one of the rare "natural" settings in Venice). I hope I'm wrong.

      Delete
  2. Congratulation for these amazing picture... I also invite to follow us http://www.venicegondola.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos took my breath away. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, that was my reaction to the actual sunsets themselves, one night right after the other.

      Delete
    2. Shared on facebook, too beautiful. Somehow the bay area doesn't have sunsets like these. The sunrise on the other hand can be quite dramatic.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing it, Laura. The bay area does have its own advantages though: I just met a Venetian who was singing the praises of a visit to Muir Woods...

      Delete