Tuesday, December 13, 2016

For Those Who Dream of Venice, A Gift Idea

An image from Dream of Venice Architecture (used with the permission of Bella Figura Publications)

I went to a book signing last week at Libreria Studium, a very good bookstore with an interesting selection of books in English and other languages (in addition to Italian), and one that's often overlooked (not least of all by me in this blog), it seems, in spite of the fact that it's just a few hundred meters from the Basilica San Marco and just down the canal from the Bridge of Sighs.

It's an excellent centrally-located resource for those looking for books in English about Venice and Italy, as well as contemporary and classic literature by American and English writers.

The book signing was for the second in a series of books about Venice that I've also overlooked, probably due to the fact that the last thing I want to do lately is write a book review (the recent one I did on Lucy Hughes-Hallett's lively biography of D'Annunzio began as something else and only accidentally turned into a review of a book I'd read some time before).

But Dream of Venice Architecture, featuring the photography of Riccardo de Cal and a broad selection of original texts written specifically for the volume by acclaimed architects, such as Tadao Ando, Mario Botta and Louise Braverman, and acclaimed writers on architecture such as Witold Rybczynski, merits the attention of anyone interested in the both the long-enduring masterpieces of this city and the more recent ones: in Carlo Scarpa as well as Palladio.

Photographer Riccardo de Cal, left, with editor and publisher JoAnn Loktov at last week's book signing in Libreria Studium
In fact, the enthusiasm with which a number of contributors write about Scarpa and how he inspired them serves as an excellent introduction to the work of Venice's own 20th-century master for those whose attention has been, understandably enough, largely monopolized by past masters like Palladio, Longhena, Sansovino, Codussi, et al.

And the photos of Riccardo de Cal manage, without straining for effect, to present compelling perspectives on this most photographed of cities. Even his images of, say, Piazza San Marco represent that area in the way it strikes me as someone who lives here--rather than with the alienated and alienating sheen of the tourist-oriented image.  

Dream of Venice Architecture, in short, is worth a look.

You can also find out about the first book in the series, entitled simply Dream of Venice, with photos by Charles Christopher and a Foreward by Frances Mayes, here.

7 comments:

  1. Grazie mille Steven! This post is a wonderful gift, we're so appreciative of your support. Thank you for coming to the book signing, it was a great pleasure to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you, JoAnn, and also to meet Riccardo. I'd say "Keep up the good work" but I have no doubt that you will.

      Delete
  2. Happy Feast of Santa Lucia to you and yout family. I know it was yesterday, but then I was busy attending the lucia celebration at my daughter's kindergarten. As I might have mentioned, Santa Lucia is a celebration of some importance in an otherwise protestantic Sweden.
    May you have an abundance of saffronbuns, gingerbread and mulled wine. :) And may your eyes never fail you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I didn't have nearly enough of any of those things I was supposed to have for the feast day (none at all, alas), Andreas--I think I need to get to Sweden--but I appreciate your kind wishes all the same! Of course, it's never too late to celebrate the feast of Santa Lucia with mulled wine, if only for the sake of one's eyes.

      Delete
  3. I just recently ordered this book, along with the one simply called "Dream of Venice"! I love both! Thank you for your post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, Helen. I'm delighted that you are enjoying both books. Buone Feste!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know that you like the books, too, Helen. They're really nicely done.

      Delete